Tomato is considered both as a fruit and a vegetable. Scientifically speaking, tomatoes are fruits. Tomatoes are grown in all countries across the globe and there are numerous cultivators. Tomatoes are used for cooking as well as for various beauty treatments.
Tomatoes contain various vital nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin C, Vitamin K as well as significant amount of Vitamin B6, folate, and thiamine. They are also good source of potassium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and copper. In addition, they have dietary fiber and protein.
Here are top ten benefits of tomatoes:
- Tomato contains large amount of lycopene, an antioxidant that is highly effective in scavenging cancer-causing free radicals. These are effective in fighting prostate cancer, cervical cancer, cancer of stomach and rectum as well as pharynx and esophageal cancers. It also protects against breast and mouth cancer.
- Tomato contains vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting and controlling bleeding.
- Vitamin C is natural antioxidant which prevents cancer-causing free radicals from damaging the body’s system; tomato comprises about 40% of the same.
- Forming tomatoes as part of your daily consumption has proven to decrease the levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in blood.
- The presence of vitamin A in high quantities has been shown to reduce the effects of carcinogens found in cigarettes and can protect against lung cancer.
- Due to Vitamin A content, tomatoes also help in improving vision.
- Tomatoes has high amount of fiber which reduces symptoms of constipation and irritated bowels. It also helps in efficient digestion.
- A study shows that consumption of tomatoes reduces the stress of type 2 diabetes.
- Topical application of tomato juice is even known to cure severe sunburns. In addition it is also good in maintaining oral health, bones, skin and hair.
- Its consumption eliminates toxins from body as well as excess water, salts, uric acid and some fats as well.
Latest posts by Pooja Doshi (see all)
- Do you know these 10 benefits of Turmeric (Haldi)? - May 12, 2018
- How does Green Tea benefit us? - May 12, 2018
- 10 Little Known Ways tomatoes benefits us - March 16, 2018