Coconut is a bountiful gift of nature to the tropics. Coconut water has been consumed for centuries in tropical countries and is believed to treat a variety of health-related ailments. In Sanskrit, coconut trees are called “kalpa vriksha” which means “tree which gives all that is necessary for living”. Kalpavriksha, the tree of life, also meaning “World Tree” finds mention in the Vedic scriptures. It is said that after water, coconut water is the most hydrating liquid on earth.
Fresh tender coconuts can be readily available in the markets in tropical regions year-round. However, they require importation into the semitropical and cold regions.
Naturally refreshing, water has a sweet, nutty taste. It contains easily digested carbohydrate in the form of sugar and electrolytes. This should not be confused with high-fat coconut milk or oil, coconut water is a clear liquid in the fruit’s center that is tapped from young, tender green coconuts.
Here are 10 benefits of drinking coconut water:
- Helps in weight loss – It does not contain high sugar content and is a good source of dietary fiber. Fiber does not get digested by your body, so it stays in your system longer and it also suppresses the appetite and makes you feel full because of its rich nature. This is why you get hungry less often and eat less. In fact, it can give your metabolism quite the boost.
- Cures hangover nausea – When you have a nasty hangover, try drinking tender coconut water. As it contains potassium, electrolytes and minerals, it will help to flush out the toxins, speeding up the detoxification process.
- Aids digestion – Coconut water is composed of many naturally occurring bioactive enzymes such as acid phosphatase, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase, RNA-polymerases etc. In effect, these enzymes help in the digestion and metabolism.
- Slows down aging – Coconut water contains cytokinins that have anti-aging effects on cells and tissues. This reduces the risk of developing degenerative and age-related diseases.
- Regulates Blood Sugar – Coconut water contains amino acids and dietary fiber that help regulate blood sugar and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Rehydrates the Body – Coconut water carries a very good amount of electrolyte potassium. 100 ml of water has 250 mg of potassium and 105 mg of sodium. Because of its electrolyte composition, coconut water is also used to rehydrate the body in case of dehydration and fluid loss due to diarrhea, vomiting or excessive sweating. A good source of carbohydrates, it also helps lift your energy level.
- Reduces Blood Pressure – An imbalance in levels of electrolytes can result in high blood pressure. Because coconut water contains an adequate supply of each, it can be used as a balancing mechanism. In some instances, it is recommended that coconut water be consumed at the start of each day to foster the balance of these electrolytes.
- Rich in Nutrients – It is a delicious and refreshing low-calorie natural beverage. Tender coconut water contains more nutrients than mature coconut water. It’s packed with antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes, B-complex vitamins, vitamin C and minerals like iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese and zinc. The micronutrients in coconut water help boost the immune system.