- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 2 people
- Meal course
- Entrée/Main Course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- April 3, 2016
Rajma is Red Kidney Beans. Rajma is usually a Sunday Supper in North India. There is something nostalgic about soft red kidney beans swimming in a sweet and tangy tomato based sauce, paired with soft snowy Basmati Rice. It is of course, very nutritious and a perfectly balanced meal at the same time.
Mostly I love to cook in Olive Oil since Olive Oil diet reduces risk of type 2 Diabetes, helps in preventing strokes and Skin Cancer, also keeps the heart young, protection from Depression and also fights Osteoporosis.
- Heat the Olive Oil and add in the Cumin Seeds and wait until they begin to sizzle. Add in the grated Ginger and stir lightly.
- Add in the Tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are nice and soft and almost mushy.
- Add in the Kidney Beans and the Cumin and Coriander Powder and mix well. Stir in the salt and sugar with 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the rice with another cup of water and add in the Cinnamon stick, Cloves and Aniseed Powder. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover and cook for 12 minutes and check and see if the rice needs more water, if needed add in the water and cover and cook for 10 more minutes, until the rice is nice and soft.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut the lime and remove the seeds and squeeze in the juice.
- Garnish with chopped Coriander Leaves and serve with a side of Yogurt.