- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 45 mins
- 4 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- February 25, 2017
French onion soup is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons and cheese on top or a large piece of bread.
The following two tabs change content below.
Mrunmayi is a Business Research Specialist who loves to bake, especially cookies, muffins, etc.
- Heat butter in a stock pot over moderate heat
- Add the onions until they are golden, stirring occasionally PLEASE NOTE: The onions must cook slowly and become evenly brown
- This is a slow process and will take take about 20 minutes
- Do not brown too fast or use high heat
- Add the stock and wine and bring to boil
- Simmer until the onions are very tender and the flavors are well blended, about 10 minutes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Add the sherry
- keep the soup hot for service
- Cut the bread into round croutons about 3/8 inches thickness and to the size of the soup cup
- Toast the bread topped with cheese for few seconds
- Fill the soup bowls with hot soup and place the toast on the top and cover with cheese